COMPASS’ 2nd Annual Staff Wellness Day
In August 2018, COMPASS staff set a goal of engaging in more self-care activities. The work that COMPASS staff performs each day can be both physically and emotionally draining. In order to combat burnout and promote wellness, a voluntary staff committee, the COMPASS Cares Committee, dedicate their time throughout the year to further develop a work culture of self-care among their colleagues.
The second annual COMPASS Wellness Day took place on January 29 at the COMPASS School. The COMPASS Cares Committee planned an afternoon dedicated to self-care for all of COMPASS’ 150 staff members. A wide variety of activities for staff were offered from a CrossFit class to a painting class. These activities provided staff opportunities to de-stress and learn techniques of taking care of themselves. The goal was to encourage staff to take an active role in their own self-care.
Staff had the option to participate in the following activities:
- Yoga: staff were taught a combination of yoga and meditation poses and practices to calm their mind, body, and soul
- Relaxation Station: staff explored healthy and calming coping strategies in our Sensory Room
- CrossFit Class: staff joined coaches from CrossFit Craic for 1 hour of movement
- Chair Massages: staff received a 10-minute chair massage from professional massage therapists and enjoyed coloring and a meditation room while waiting their turn
- Salsa Class: staff learned the basics of dancing Salsa taught by a professional Salsa instructor
- Painting: staff were taught how to paint creative sceneries on tile coasters
- Zumba: staff enjoyed their favorite music accompanied by some great movement taught by a professional Zumba instructor
- Healthy Snacks: All staff were treated to healthy snacks provided by our Culinary Arts team
A BIG “thank you” to all of the Committee members who made Wellness Day possible: Sandra Skinner (Chair), Kelly Laurendi, Bethany Bonner, Attracta Britton, Anne-Carol Malone, Jared Mello, Gregg Grenier, Sarina Van Zyl, Amanda Bravo, and Dellicia Shorter. An additional BIG “thank you” to the staff who helped us on Wellness Day: Peter Deasy, Martha Lopez, Beth Labbe, Terry Belli, and Jenn Negron.